Resources to Better Understand Propane Gas
Learn more about what propane gas is and its uses as an alternative energy source
1. Propane is a clean-burning fuel.
Carbon dioxide is a necessary, good and natural part of the Earth’s atmosphere. It is an essential contributor to what is known as the greenhouse effect, the combination of elements in earth’s atmosphere that allows the planet to retain heat.
A more detailed and scientific explanation about propane vehicle emissions and their impact on the Earth’s atmosphere is available from the US Department of Energy.
The Railroad Commission of Texas answers these three common and related questions about propane:
- What is propane?
- Where does propane come from?
- What influences propane prices?
2. Propane has many uses, not just heating your air and water.
Did you know propane can be used to cook your food (indoors and out), dry your clothes, and heat and light your pool? There are other benefits too. Are you taking full advantage?
Propane can be used to fuel properly configured home and business appliances including camp stoves, clothes dryers, cook tops, fireplaces, freezers, refrigerators and more.
Propane is a clean and inexpensive fueling option for a whole variety of commercial and residential vehicles and equipment:
- ground service (airport) equipment;
- lawn mowers, trimmers & leaf blowers;
- light duty trucks;
- buses, trolleys, street sweepers; and
- fleet vehicles.
If you are considering using propane to fuel fleet vehicles in this market, we recommend Alliance Auto Gas. Alliance helps companies switch from gasoline to propane vehicles to save money and reduce emissions.
The Alternative Fuels Incentive Grant (AFIG) Program offers Alternative Fuel Vehicle Rebates to assist eligible residents with the incremental cost of purchasing propane vehicles. As of October 2011, rebates of $1,000 are available for propane vehicles.
3. Propane has the largest refueling infrastructure of any alternative fuel in the United States.
The Propane Education and Research Council has a convenient propane refueling infrastructure map which allows you to search for alternative fuel refueling stations by address, zip or state. The map lists over 2,400 refueling stations across the United States with 48 propane refueling stations (2012) conveniently located in Pennsylvania alone.
Vehicle refueling stations in this part of the state are few and far between. Kauffman does not refuel fleet vehicles or motor homes. If you need fleet refueling, your best bet is reach out to Alliance Auto Gas for referrals.
For motor homes, we recommend asking your motor home association for suggested refueling options. Many campgrounds offer this service, just be sure to check ahead of time so you can make appropriate arrangements if they do not.
4. Propane is supported by local companies in addition to ourselves.
Below are propane-friendly companies we recommend in this area. Call us if you don’t see a company you are considering on this list. We’ll do our best to answer your questions.
Fireplace Installation and Service:
- We highly recommend LanChester Grill & Hearth. Located at 832 Pequea Avenue in Gap PA, LanChester Grill & Hearth provides wood and gas fireplaces, gas grills, wooden and pellet stoves, outdoor kitchens, fire pits, pergolas and much more to business and residential customers in the Wilmington, DE, Lancaster, Reading, Downingtown, West Chester, Exton and Chadds Ford, PA area.
Agricultural Equipment Sales, Service
- Stoltzfus Farm Service (Cochranville, PA)