In 1954, Kauffman Gas installed its first storage tank, which held 7500 gallons. Several years later in 1958, Elmer's son Elwood and his wife Barbara bought the propane business from him.
By 1958, Kauffman Gas had served 950 customers. During the same year, the building in which Kauffman Gas is currently operated out of was built. In 1969, a four-bay garage was built and it is still used in daily operations today.
In 1977, a larger 30,000 gallon tank was added to our onsite storage facilities. Prior to this installation, Kauffman Gas had been using only one 18,000 gallon tank for storage.
Elwood's son, Ken Kauffman, started working in the business in 1980, and now shares ownership of the company with his sister Carolyn Grier. In 1994, Elwood decided to convert Kauffman Gas from its current state as a sole proprietorship into a corporation.
In 2002, three 30,000 gallon propane storage tanks were added, which brought our total storage to 138,000 gallons.
Today, Kauffman Gas has 5 storage tanks, over 5,500 customers, and 13 employees. Both Ken and Carolyn are still involved in daily operations and we plan on keeping the business in the family.
Chris Kauffman, Ken's oldest son, will make four generations of Kauffmans involved in the daily operations of Kauffman Gas; his younger siblings have also shown interest in being a part of Kauffman Gas.